Tuesday 30 June 2009

Afternoon delight? Don't think so

It's struck again. That apathetic malaise that usually raises its ugly head in the afternoon - and I hate it.

I hate the fact that I’m sitting at my desk like a sack of potatoes, studiously ignoring those jobs on my “To Do” list that bore the socks off me and repeatedly pressing the email Send/Receive button in the hope that something more interesting will suddenly appear on my screen.

B
ut so far, nothing. Tipota, nada, rien.
In short, sweet Fanny Adams.

If it carries on like this, I may be forced to have a go at that article I have been pretending doesn't need to be written, in the vague hope it will go away and leave me in peace. Yawn!

I always tell my son that people who are often bored are boring themselves – someone with imagination will always find something interesting to pass the time.
But the truth is there are times when - despite the best will in the world - boredom strikes big time. For me, that usually happens between 3 and 6pm. What Douglas Adams called “the long tea-time of the soul”.

Most people seem to class themselves as either Early Birds or Night Owls. But I think I qualify as both, as I am equally functional early in the morning and late at night. I seem to be up for most things the world can throw at me the minute I roll out of bed first-thing, but still can be raring to go after midnight.

Trouble is, there has to be an energy dip somewhere during the day and unfortunately for me it usually comes at a time when I'm being paid by someone else to sit at my keyboard looking (sorry, being) industrious. It doesn’t help that rather than being in my own little office with a door that closes, my desk is in the middle of a an open plan area which means that every Tom, Dick and Harriet would (probably) notice if I started snoring.

So, those hours between lunch and home-time (now there’s a phrase that really harks back to my schooldays) are anything but “afternoon delight” for me.

I just keep hoping in vain that my In Box will suddenly light up with a message from someone big in publishing or showbiz who wants to make me a star and gives me truckloads of money. That would certainly wake me up!


No comments:

Post a Comment